Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Why fauxhawks suck

Because they are a lazy man's mohawk.

The mohawk probably originated in that ancient, yet futuristic land beyond Thunderdome, but as a fashion statement it originated in 1977 London as part of the punk movement. I remember seeing one I wanted in National Lampoon's European Vacation. It had four spikes that were each about two feet tall. Three were hot pink while the one in back was electric lime. Exquisite, I say. Now that I'm older, I have less infatuation with mohawks (I have an (ir)rational fear that hair coloring contains harmful chemicals) but more respect for them (I have since discovered the Sex Pistols and fallen in love with the Clash). What all this means is that, the mohawk originated as a political statement. Judging from the Sex Pistols, the political statement is that we should have an anarchic society where people are free to tar and feather women who have abortions (okay, so I'm confusing "Anarchy In the UK" with "Bodies" and throwing some good old American Revolution into the mix, but everyone knows James Madison was the forefather of the punks.) Judging from what punk evolved into, its a fairly ethical liberal movement that masks itself in scary lip piercings that send Parliament running scared before it will pass any of their policies. I respect a lot of what they stand for though.

People with fauxhawks, not so much. I feel like I can't trust them because they arent' ready to commit to anything. They have a fauxhawk now, but they could run a brush through it and have a completely different style in five minutes. with a mohawk, you're kind of stuck. The best you can do is a half comb over. Sure, fauxhawks are popular with potentially anti-establishemtarian types like emo kids and wannabe hipsters, but those people will never be able to enact any real change, including to mainstream hairstyling, because of their lack of commitment.

5 comments:

J. Grant said...

True, true. If only they'd commit. And, they look ridiculous (I'm sure Madison would agree.)

What do you think of the current hairstyle for 'hipster' guys where they just let their hair fall into their eyes? You know, that whole "I'm too busy for a hair-cut and way too cool for a brush" look? (Is this the next blog?)

Matt Groneman said...

Hmm.... well, I actually did some research for this post (what? I did research?!?). Basically, I googled emo haircuts, which is what I considered the fauxhawk, and found out that whole "too busy for a haircut" look is actually emo, not hipster. Either way, I'm not as bothered by that. I think my next hair-related blog is going to cover Howie Mandel's soul patch.

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

I promised to comment, and here I am re-reading your post and still convinced that I love a good fauxhawk. I don't know what it is about them...perhaps I'll write a clever response.

Anonymous said...

Well I can definately see where youre coming from. But simply put, you need to stop reading into hairstyles so much my friend. The issue with the mohawk or liberty spikes isn't really relevant. The punkers of Camden we're trying to make a statement; the fauxhawkers are more likely to be trying to get laid. The fauxhawk will likely be found in clubs, at indie concerts, and highschools. You cant possibly compare a bold political statement to a dying trend and draw conclusion. And I hope you werent serious about the trust thing. I'm a sociology major and even I cant spot the corrilation between hair preference and moral liability. Nice little rant, and a few valid points. But really, you base most complaints on the title itself. Call it "spiked wave down middle of head" and there goes 80% of your angst. =)