Friday, February 22, 2008

We Can't Work It Out: The Fab War -- Round 9

"Here Comes the Sun" v. "Sexy Sadie" v. "Fool On the Hill" v. "Octopus's Garden"

When I first heard "Fool On the Hill," I thought it was pretty foolish. I couldn't figure out what all the hype was. It just didn't move me. It still doesn't. While I have grown to appreciate it, and I think I get what Paul was after, I still think its overrated.


If "Here Comes the Sun" were the only song George Harrison ever wrote, he'd arguably still be heralded in the annals of rock. It's completely rip-offable (see Ween's "What Deaner Was Talkin' About"), but George is too saintly to sue as there's is obviously in tribute. George's vibe is just laidback here, and his guitar work is gorgeous. It's all perfectly poppy, and while it's not my favorite George song, its one of my favorite Beatles songs and my favorite song of his with the Beatles.

"Octopus's Garden" is pretty good too. When I was little I used to think it was the prototype for the theme songs from Muppet Babies. How I thought that I'll never know, but its an amazing song nonetheless. Ringo's second outing as a composer showed that he really does know how to write. The inventive arrangement might be the best part, but song is solid in and of itself from the start.

"Sexy Sadie" is a great kiss off. Sadie here represents the Maharishi. For the round, I chose the version from the Beatles' Anthology 3. This early version has a very organicfeel which comes off as more effective. While I like it better than "Fool On the Hill," it's stuck down at third.

This round:

John – 2
Paul – 1
George – 4
Ringo – 3

Totals thus far:

John – 26
Paul – 25
George – 22
Ringo – 17

No comments: