Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Buddy Holly

Buddy is an icon and a legend, and today is the 50th anniversary of that day when at 22 he perished in a tragic plane crash. Every note he laid down was magical in some way. Still, there was something about him I always wondered about, and that is a few lines in "Not Fade Away." I don't mean to disrespect Buddy, as his musical legacy if amazing, but I'm not sure about his views on women. Case in point:

My love's bigger than a Cadillac.
I try to show you but you keep drivin' me back.
My love for you has got to be real
so I'm going to show you just how I feel.

Sounds like rape to me. Maybe there was something to all that talk about how rock was evil back in the fifties.... Personally, I can't help but think of that scene in The Buddy Holly Story where Jake Busey tries to rip off his girlfriend's bra at the start of the movie. I think, though, that after he found love with Maria Elena Santiago and matured a bit, he too probably would have found the verse in question a tad repulsive. I like to think so.

No comments: