Monday, February 16, 2009

Black History Month: Susan Lori Parks


The Venus Hottentot was a slave afflicted with elephantitis of the labia. Because of her physical abnormalities, and because she lacked the agency to shield herself from ridicule, she was paraded around the country as though she were nothing but a sideshow freak. Susan Lori Park's masterful play Venus is an emotionally packed telling of her story.

After the Venus Hottentot's death, her labia were preserved in fermaldehyde. Before the curtains open and during intermission, the tension is heightened as actors reinact the measuring of her vulva as scientists took it from glass jars and stretched it, just to make sure that even in death she could not retain her dignity.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lori's Getting Mother's Body was a great little novel, but I never knew she addressed the Sarah Baartman issue. Interesting. Thanks for the knowledge.

Matt Groneman said...

I'll try to read that this summer when I get some more time. I was just blown away by Venus when I read it. Thinking back to the class I read it for, it makes me wish I did a post on August Wilson!

I'll save that for next year, along with a list of about 10 or 15 others I didn't get to.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the ones you did get to. Enlightening to say the least.