Thursday, March 5, 2009

Women's History Month: Judy Blume


I'll admit, I was first taken with Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, followed of course by Superfudge and Fudge-a-Mania. By the time I entered middle school, though, I'd read the majority of everything Judy Blume had written. Then, in ninth or tenth grade, while researching a genealogical project, I went to the main library. By the circulation desk, they had a display of banned books, probably for banned books week, and there among them stood out Judy Blume's Forever, a book I had never seen in my school library. It was the first book I'd ever read where I was sure there was a sex scene, even thought it was much less sensual than I expected. You couldn't miss it as a sex scene though, as the whole book served as a guide on how young people engaging in sex should prepare and protect themselves for the act.

No comments: