Saturday, March 7, 2009

Vicky Christina Barcelona

I recently got around to seeing Woody Allen's Vicky Christina Barcelona, Woody Allen's most recent film about two American girls, Vicky and Christina, one engaged, who fall for the same troubled artist, Juan Carlos, who is on-again, off-again with his violent exwife, Marie Elena. I had two thoughts on it.

First, the kiss between ScarJo and Penelope Cruz has been blown way out of proportion.

Second, I was surprised by the ending. Not that Vicky went off with her husband to start their life together -- I expected that. What surprised me was that when Vicky went to meet back up with Juan Carlos, I expected him to get killed by Marie Elena before they had a chance to meet again and ruin her newly-cemented nuptials. Instead, Marie Elena shows up right when they start to kiss, but rather than kill Juan Carlos, manages only to injure Vicky's hand. Fed up, Vicky decides Juan Carlos is stupid and decides to ditch him because of that. Sure, Vicky may learn more in Woody's version, but I still like the tragedy of mine a little bit better.

No comments: