Thursday, October 4, 2007

We Can't Work It Out: The Fab War -- Round 4

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" v. "In My Life" v. "Here, There & Everywhere" v. "Yellow Submarine"

I have always loved the crazy-sounding drunk guy who echoes Ringo near the end of "Yellow Submarine," ending his contribution with that particularly soused laugh that comes after the word submarine. Unfortunately, against the heavyweight occupations of the competition, that shall bit of sheer job can't hope to compete, and the whimsical song wasn't even a Ringo composition to begin with and he doesn't seem to add much to it. It's his song, but then again, it isn't.

"Here, There & Everywhere" is utterly shimmering. Its prodigal gorgeousity places it among my favorite Paul McCartney songs and among my favorite love songs ever. It is so hard to write a good love song. This one indulges in cliche more so than some other good examples, but it mixes the cliches up just enough to make them sound at least semi-fresh. Still, even a great love song is not as interesting as a more realistic song, one that is less unconditional.

So the two main contenders in this round are "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "In My Life." "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" features Eric Clapton's best work and one of Harrison's prototypical introspective lyrics. "In My Life," contrarily, sounds like a Hallmark card. The sentiment is overbearing, but at the same time it feels honest and, coming from the contrite Lennon, its hard it could be anything but. That and it features a wicked harpsichord solo.

Totals thus far:

John - 12
Paul - 14
George - 7
Ringo - 7

1 comment:

Matthew Webber said...

Be sure to post the points for each round, too!