Sunday, October 14, 2007

Rennaissance Festival

This weekend I explored the Rennaissance Festival in Kansas City. While I'm somewhat leery of shenanigans that have the potential to include a few too many Monty Python references, I do love the swigging of the ale and the bite of a good turkey leg.

The Rennaissance Festival proved quite cool. I was able to pick up some sweet crafts, such as a rose dipped in wax. They also had beer steins and flasks hand crafted out of various hard woods.

Some of the shows were pretty cool, such as a family of jugglers and a pirate quintet who sang sea shanties you could drink to. Even though I didn't particularly get down with the Mr. Rennaissance male strip show, I can appreciate it as something unique. I still think the red-headed Jesus (who didn't call himself Jesus) should have won. Sir Francis Drake gave out roses at the start, which helped his draw with the crowd.

The thing I noticed most, though, is that Renn Fest workers are the closest we have to a contemporary incarnation of the carnie. They travel the circuit and even those who made their home base in Kansas City with second jobs had plenty of tales of other festivals they'd migrated to from time to time.

3 comments:

Matthew Webber said...

Cool post... but where are the new ones? I miss you, bro.

J. Grant said...

A rose dipped in wax?

Red-headed Jesus? Are you making things up again?

J. Grant said...

And, why didn't you 'get down' with the male strip show? That seems like something that would be pure Matty G. (And no, I'm not making a gay joke here...)